Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content

Get Involved in Research

Getting involved in scientific research as an undergraduate has a ton of benefits: 

  • Real-world experience in laboratory techniques 
  • Mentoring from graduate students and Emory faculty 
  • Preparation for chemistry graduate school and careers 


Chemistry majors can find information about research on the majors Canvas site including: 

  • Choosing a pathway into a research experience at Emory or elsewhere 
  • Finding a research mentor and lab 
  • Completing an honors thesis in chemistry 
  • And more! 


You can request access to the Canvas site by emailing the undergraduate program coordinator…or declare your major to be added automatically!  You can also...

  •  Check out our guide with tips for learning about research and talking to potential mentors.
  • Read this Nature article as a good starting place for new undergraduate researchers.
  • Apply for research credit if you're considering a chemistry major. In most cases, students are majors when they take research for course credit, but you can still make a request to earn course credit for your research experience.  To do this:


There are opportunities to pursue research during the summer, including some that offer housing and/or funding:

  • If you're working with an Emory lab, discuss applying to the  Emory SURE program with your research mentor.
  • Summer REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) programs offer summer research experiences in labs at other schools.  A full list of NIH-supported REU sites can be found here.


Antonio Brathwaite Headshot
Antonio Brathwaite
Senior Lecturer
Atwood 210
Sara Howard Headshot
Sara Howard
Undergraduate Program Coordinator