Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content

Choose Your Chemistry Courses

The “chemistry core” is an active learning curriculum that teaches everything you need to launch a chemistry major on either the B.A. or B.S. track. These courses are also designed to cover the material required for pre-health careers and the MCAT.

  • Chem 150/150L: Structure and Properties (or AP/IB)
  • CHEM 202/202L: Principles of Reactivity
  • CHEM 203/203L: Advanced Reactivity
  • CHEM 204/204L: Macromolecules
  • CHEM 205/205L: Light and Matter
  • CHEM 300L: Analytical Tools and Techniques

Once you've completed your core courses, you can choose from a range of upper-level lecture and laboratory electives to explore your interests and academic goals. Examples of electives include Biochemistry, Quantum Mechanics, and Organometallic Chemistry. 

Explore the college course catalog to learn more.


ACS Certified

Emory offers an ACS certified degree to students on the B.S. track who take specific elective credit. See a chemistry advisor to make a plan for the ACS track.

Research B.S.

B.S. majors engaged in research may substitute 3 units of CHEM 495/499 in place of one advanced-level lab course.

Pre-Health Prep

Chemistry is great preparation for both majors and non-majors. Non-majors interested in pre-health careers should complete the chemistry core through CHEM 204/204L


"Z" Track

Students with AP/IB credit may elect to swap CHEM202z/203z for CHEM 202/203. This accelerated track is the preferred pathway for students entering with a strong chemistry background.

Capstone Chem

Students pursuing a B.S. degree will take a capstone course in their final semester. Although seats are limited, B.A. majors can request to take a capstone course to fulfill their upper level elective requirement.


Biomolecular Chemistry Specialization
Students may complete a biomolecular specialization as part of the BA or BS major.  Read more about this option in the advising guide.
Study Abroad

Chemistry offers a study abroad experience in Siena, Italy each summer that includes an opportunity to earn credit towards the chemistry major. See the Study Abroad website for details.

Honors in Chemistry

Students who intend to earn an Honors degree in chemistry must complete one graduate-level chemistry course. Email both the instructor of the course and the undergraduate program coordinator, to request a permission number.

Learning Assistants

Students who excel in introductory chemistry courses have the opportunity to become peer learning assistants. Working alongside faculty reinforces concepts and prepares students to mentor in future careers.