Applications to our graduate program are accepted online via the Laney Graduate School. The final application deadline for Fall 2018 is January 1st.
All students admitted to the PhD program in Chemistry receive a support package that includes
- Stipend support (currently $28,000)
- Tuition Scholarship (currently $19,400 per semester)
- 100% health insurance subsidy
A number of merit fellowships are also available--no separate application is required. Applicants who meet the January 1st deadline will be automatically considered for additional fellowships.
Not sure what to expect from the online application? Be ready to submit:
- Personal Statement
- Transcripts (unofficial is fine)
- Contact information for recommenders
- Faculty of Interest
- Research Experience and Interests
- Test Scores (submit official scores via ETS, but you may report your scores in the application)
To make it simple, we've prepared an application checklist!
Looking for more details? Our "Applying to Graduate School 101" blog series covers the application process in-depth. Topics include:
- Advice from our Director of Graduate Studies, a Faculty Admissions Rep, and a current student.
- How to Write the Personal Statement
- Differences between Grad School and Undergrad
- How to Request Recommendations
- Understanding the Costs to Apply to and Attend Graduate School
- Choosing a Research Lab
Once you've applied, what happens? Here's our timeline:
- September 1st: Application Period Begins
- January 1st: Final application deadline; preparation of admissions offers begin; most admitted students should expect to hear from us by early February. However, if you have not heard from us, your application is still being considered.
- February 23rd-25th: Recruitment Weekend for Admitted Students (Invitation Only)
- April 15th: Final Decision Deadline for Admitted Students. Instructions for accepting an offer can be found here.