Emory College Chemistry Preparation (ECCP)
Emory College Chemistry Prep is available starting on June 1st and counts for 3% of a student's total grade in CHEM 150: Structure and Properties. The test is mandatory for all students enrolled in CHEM 150 and the Department of Chemistry strongly recommends that interested students complete the ECCP well in advance of their arrival on campus. The ECCP will walk students through the chemistry necessary for success in CHEM 150 and assign students work to fill in knowledge gaps. Therefore, it is required that all students acheive 100% on the ECCP to receive the full 3% towards their CHEM 150 grade.
Deadline for ECCP Fall 2018: Wednesday, September 5th at 11:59pm
Tips for Suceeding with ECCP:
- The initial ECCP will only take 60-90 minutes, but working through assigned material to fill in any gaps will take longer. Start at least three weeks before the start of classes.
- ALEKS, the artifical intelligence-based teaching tool behind the ECCP, will only teach you information that meets the following criteria: 1) you don't already know how to do it; and 2) you are ready to learn it based on what you know already. Complete the ECCP carefully and honestly (no guessing!) so that ALEKS will present you with the material you need.
- Never click the "I don't know" button unless you truly have no idea how to approach a problem. Otherwise, ALEKS might make you review information you don't need.
- Everyone's path through the ECCP will be different. ALEKS will tell you what you need to learn, if anything, and help you track your progress in the pie chart learning mode. When you complete the ECCP focus on what you need to know and don't worry about your classmates. Completing any portion of the ECCP with outside help or completing any portion of the ECCP for someone else is a violation of the Emory Honor Code.
Why do I have to take the ECCP?
We want you to succeed in CHEM 150. CHEM 150 is taught at a fast pace and the instructors will assume that all students have a good background in mathematics and some fundamentals of chemistry. It is necessary for you to take the test to ensure that your math and chemistry backgrounds are strong enough for you to succeed in CHEM 150. The ECCP will not only assess where you are but will tutor you in those areas you need to be successful in CHEM 150. Completion of the ALEKS assessment with mastery of 100% of the topics in the ECCP earns you 3% of your course grade.
What does the ECCP cover?
- Math and Algebra
- Measurement -- SI Units, unit conversions, dimensional analysis
- Matter -- mass, volume, density, atomic theory, the elements
- Atoms, Ions, and Molecules -- atomic structure, molecular and ionic compounds
- Stoichiometry -- moles, molar mass, equations, reaction and solution stoichiometry