Declaring Your Major

Declaring A Chemistry Major

Print out and complete the top half of the Major Declaration FormIf you have a possible advisor in mind, you can contact that professor for the necessary signature. If you do not have a preference, please click on Chemistry Faculty Advisors then select and contact a professor to acquire the necessary signature. Once your form has been completed and signed it should be submitted to Ethel Ellington in the main Department of Chemistry Office (Atwood 380P). 

Student in LabFrequently Asked Questions:

Q: How do I know I want to be a Chemistry Major?

A: The first step is to take a few chemistry courses. Most first-year students will enter at General Chemistry level (CHEM 141/142), while some advanced students will begin with Organic Chemistry (CHEM 221z/222z). If you succeed in these courses and enjoy the experience, then a chemistry major is an excellent option.

Q: Do you offer different types of Chemistry degrees (e.g. Biochemistry or Environmental)?

A: Emory only offers the B.S. and the B.A Chemistry degrees, but it is easy to tailor your major to meet your academic interests, as a number of elective courses are offered. By discussing your specific interests with your advisor, you can graduate with a degree that reflects your interests.

Q: Can I switch from the B.S to the B.A. or vice versa?

A: Yes. When you apply for graduation, your advisor will check to see which requirements you have met and approve that particular degree. So that the department can have an adequate record, it is advisable to officially convert your major if you decide on such a change.

Q: Is there a minimum GPA for graduation with a Chemistry B.S or a B.A?

A: You must graduate with a 2.0 in your major. It is not necessary to get a C in all of your major courses, as long as your final GPA is a 2.0.