Department of Chemistry
Office: 608 Atwood
Additional Contact Information
- PhD, Stanford University, 1990
- BS, Texas A&M University, 1984
- Specific Research Area
- Synthetic Methods and Natural Products Synthesis
- Selected Publications
"Biomimetic syntheses from squalene-like precursors: Synthesis of abudinol B, and reassessment of the structure of muzitone." Matthew A. Boone, Rongbiao Tong, Frank E. McDonald, Sheri Lense, Rui Cao, and Kenneth I. Hardcastle, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010, 132, 5300-5308.
"Stereo- and regioselective synthesis of 2-amino-3,5-diols via stereospecific crotyl transfer and regioselective aminohydroxylation." Frank E. McDonald and Claney L. Pereira, Synthesis, 2012, 44, 3639-3648.
"Stereoselectivity of electrophile-promoted oxacyclizations of 1,4-dihydroxy-5-alkenes to 3-hydroxytetrahydropyrans." Frank E. McDonald, Kento Ishida, and Jessica A. Hurtak, Tetrahedron, 2013, 69, 7746-7758.
"Iodoetherification of conformationally restricted dienyl alcohols: Unexpected formation of oxocenes by 8-endo-mode oxacyclizations." Kristen L. Stoltz, Andrea-Nekane R. Alba, Frank E. McDonald, Marika B. Wieliczko, and John Bacsa, Heterocycles, 2014, 88, 1519-1526.
- CHEM 522: Advanced Organic Chemistry II (grad)
- CHEM 222: Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 729: Special Topics: Organotransition Metal Chemistry (grad)
- CHEM 523: Advanced Organic Chemistry III
- Awards and Honors
- U.S. National Committee Young Observer, IUPAC General Assembly (2001, 2003)
- Winship Distinguished Research Professor (2002)
- Novartis Award in Support of Synthetic Organic Chemistry (1998)
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar (1997)
- Eli Lilly Grantee in Organic Chemistry (1995)
- National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award (1995)
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow (1995)
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus New Faculty Award (1992)